Also known as the Export-Import Bank Building, construction began in 1938 on the Lafayette Building in Washington, DC, just on block from the White House. Built in a Stripped Classical architectural style, the building was known as the headquarters for the Federal Loan Agency as well as the Reconstruction Finance Corporation (RFC). Both of these agencies became widely known for their roles in supporting and helping to launch American industry during World War II. Interestingly, the building was one of the first in the city to be equipped with central air conditioning and underground parking.
The federal government acquired the property in 1947.
The Lafayette Building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2005.
The Lathan Company was contracted to restore approximately 1200 original steel-framed window units (including upgrading their glazing), installing a new storefront window system, and restoring various decorative metal elements.