Jackson Barracks

New Orleans, LA

President Andrew Jackson signed a Congressional Bill in July 1832 that gave $87,000 to build barracks to house troops. $107,500 was added to the previous amount to bring the total for construction at over $180,000.

History – Established in 1834 and originally known as the New Orleans Barracks, this military base sits along the mighty Mississippi River. The name was changed in July 1866 to honor President Andrew Jackson, who advocated for the barracks to be erected. The garrison is located under the original encampment of the U.S. forces that were under General Jackson’s command when the British were defeated at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. It was this famous battle and victory that propelled General Jackson’s career to the White House 15 years later. Upon becoming President, he ordered the barracks to be built on the Mississippi River where his forces had dwelled. In 1876, Jackson Barracks was placed on the National Register of Historic places, and currently serves as the home base of the Louisiana National Guard. The location of the barracks lies within what is known as the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans. This area received national attention for being one of the most devastated areas affected by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Upon the failure of the levee system, the barracks flooded with up to 8 feet of water that then sat stagnant for over two weeks.

Jackson Barraks_Lg.jpg

​Lathan's Contributions:

Lathan’s contract provided for the complete restoration of these antebellum structures with careful attention to preserve the integrity of the timber frames, and masonry wall structures. Original masonry structures were re-painted and new lime plaster walls were applied to the interiors matching the original authentic lime plaster bends and methods. New slate roofs, copper flashings, gutters, windows, doors, railings and stairs were included in this project. A major feat of the project was Lathan’s handling and reinforcement of the buildings trademark exterior columns. Lathan reinforced the “pie” brick and plaster columns with stainless steel for strengthening, but also preserved the historical finishes.

Jackson Barracks_1.jpg